Protecting Your Computer From Viruses and Spyware
The Antivirus & Anti-spyware Engine detects and blocks viruses, spyware, Trojan horses, worms, bots, and rootkits. You can:
- Turn the Antivirus & Anti-spyware Engine on or off as needed. By default, the Antivirus & Anti-spyware Engine is on after installation of the ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus + Firewall.
- Customize the regular scan schedule. By default, the Antivirus & Anti-Spyware engine runs a of the system on a weekly basis, and once every three months. You can change the scan schedule as necessary. These are the available scan type options:
- Quick Scan - is the fastest. It only scans for viruses in memory, boot sectors, and the Windows folders that are most susceptible to hacker attacks and viruses, such as Startup folders and folders linked to startup items.
- Full Scan - is more thorough than the Quick Scan. It scans all, except archives and non-executable files.
- Full Scan with Archive Files - is the most thorough type of scan. It scans all files, folders, and archives. It also scans for rootkits. We recommend to run the Full Scan with Archive Files every six months or after exposure to a virus outbreak.
- Run on-demand scans, if necessary, between the regularly scheduled scans.
- Update Virus and Spyware Definition Files. To effectively protect your system, these files must be updated regularly.
- Treat quarantined files. You have the choice to fix them, delete them, or scan them again.
- Configure advanced settings to fine-tune the behavior of the Antivirus & Anti-spyware Engine more.